I am a second year Ph.D. student studying computer science at the University of Washington in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering advised by Jennifer Mankoff. I earned my Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. My current focus is on accessibility and assistive technology.
kmack3 [at] uw [dot] edu
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Accessible Slides (Download)
- K. Mack, D. Bragg, M. Morris, M. Bos, I. Albi, A. Monroy-Hernández. Social App Accessibility for Deaf Signers . CSCW '20: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing, Virtual, 2020.
- D. Jain, K. Mack, A. Amrous, M. Wright, S. Goodman, L. Findlater, J. Froehlich. HomeSound: An Iterative Field Deployment of an In-Home Sound Awareness System for Deaf or Hard of Hearing Users . CHI ‘20: International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Honolulu, United States, 2020.
- K. Mack, Sophie Tian. Why Researchers Working with the Deaf Community Should Learn ASL (Workshop Paper). CHI ‘20: International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Honolulu, United States, 2020.
- M. Bendre, T. Wattanawaroon, K. Mack, A. Parameswaran. Anti-Freeze for Large and Complex Spreadsheets: Asynchronous Formula Computation. SIGMOD Int'l Conf. on Management of Data, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. June 2019.
- M. Bendre, T. Wattanawaroon, S. Rahman, K. Mack, Y. Liu, S. Zhu, Y. Lu, P. Yang, X. Zhou, K. Chang, K. Karahalios, A. Parameswaran. Faster, Higher, Stronger: Redesigning Spreadsheets for Scale (Demo). 35th Int'l Conf. on Data Engineering (ICDE), Macau. April 2019.
- K. Mack, J. Lee, K. Chang, K. Karahalios, A. Parameswaran, Characterizing Scalability Issues in Spreadsheet Software using Online Forums (Case Study). CHI ‘18: International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montreal, Canada, 2018.
- Microsoft Research Intern- Summer 2020
- Microsoft Software Engineering Intern- Summer 2019
- Snap Inc. Research Intern- Fall 2018
- Microsoft Software Engineering Intern- Summer 2018
- Facebook Software Engineering Intern- Summer 2017
- kCura (n.k.a. Relativity) Software Engineering Intern- Summer 2015
- Girls Who Code Facilitator
- UIUC Undergraduate Course Assistant: Computer Architecture (CS233), Databases (CS411), Data Science Discovery (CS107), Data Structures (CS225), Discrete Structures (CS173)
- Google Lime Scholar (2020)
- ARCS Foundation Scholar (2019-2021)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Recipient (2019)
- UIUC Bronze Tablet (2019)- top 3% of class
- Boeing Women in Engineering Scholarship (2018)
- NVIDIA John Nickolls Memorial Scholarship (2018)
- Snap Inc. Research Scholar (2018)
- CRA Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award Honorable Mention (2018)
For fun, I like to take pictures of the places I visit and embroidering for my family and friends. I also enjoy playing the violin; I have been in a campus orchestra all four years at UIUC. Some of my favorite pieces include Shostakovich's Waltz No. 2, Barber's Adagio for Strings, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. Though, my absolute favorite work will always be Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.